Advanced composites have been extensively used in various fields including aerospace, automotive and other cutting-edge industries. There is however an urgent need to understand the machining and machinability of composites because they are typically difficult to machine due to their serious tool wear and poor surface integrity.
This special issue will focus on the machining (e.g. trimming, milling and drilling) of both polymer and metallic matrix composites.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Mechanics modelling of composite materials
- Testing of mechanical properties of composite materials
- Simulation of machining processes of composite materials
- Machining technology of advanced composite materials
- Machine tools and tooling for composite materials
- Machinability of composite materials
Submission of manuscripts: 31 October, 2014
Notification to authors: 31 December, 2014
Final versions due: 28 February, 2015