Now, more than ever, cultural environments, in all their forms, can profit from multimedia technologies in order to support their two main aims: content organisation and especially dissemination.
Firstly, databases and digital libraries may be used for organising cultural content with the use of protocols and standards. Collection owners, museum curators, librarians and government institutions can use these infrastructures to classify and document their information pools.
Regarding dissemination, presentation applications that exploit multimedia and web technologies can be deployed on single computers, on information kiosks, and in open areas by using large displays, wireless connections and new interface mediums that exploit motion and position. Furthermore, watermarking mechanisms for the distribution and commercial exploitation of multimedia cultural content should be taken into consideration, along with the exploitation of web 2.0 applications and social media in general. Finally, educational multimedia applications and games may further present and disseminate multimedia cultural content inside and outside of the classroom.
Papers submitted for this special issue may focus on multimedia systems targeted for culture, from content design to dissemination. Papers may present theoretical frameworks for the above issues or innovative applications in certain cultural installations.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Multimedia management applications and security
- Multimedia mobile applications for culture
- Distributed multimedia systems for management and presentation purposes
- Multimedia security in networking
- Trustworthy multimedia networks
- Digital rights management for multimedia cultural content
- Quality of service issues in multimedia networks
- Interoperability of cultural multimedia systems
- Accessibility and adaptability of cultural heritage applications
- Multimedia educational applications and games - cultural education
- Web 2.0 applications for culture
- Hypermedia systems for disseminating cultural content
Paper submission: 31 January, 2015