A special issue of International Journal of Design Engineering
The field of virtual engineering has gained significance in recent years with the availability of numerical procedures and software developed to support designers and analysts. The use of more and more realistic digital mock-ups increases designer productivity and allows detailed evaluation of the design choices at an early stage. Virtual reality (VR) allows not only visualization of a set of CAD representations of parts but also interaction with them by means of haptic devices and stereo vision, such as moving parts into and out of their installed positions, reaching around obstacles, etc.
The purpose of this special issue is to get up-to-date knowledge and the most recent developments in all aspects of numerical and virtual engineering to simulate mechanical systems design, manufacturing and assembling.
While encouraging all high quality submissions that are relevant for the topics addressed, the special issue seeks particularly to promote outstanding research that will be presented within the special session on “Virtual Reality in Machine Design and Manufacturing” at the 13th International Conference on Machine Design and Production, to be held on 3-5 September 2008 in Istanbul, Turkey . Therefore, conference participants who are interested in their papers to be considered for publication in the special issue are invited to submit their manuscripts to the guest editors.
Topics of relevance include, but are not limited to:
- CAD and computer graphics issues in virtual reality
- New design strategies for industrial products
- Virtual reality support system for choice of design solutions
- Virtual prototyping
- Virtual reality applications in design, manufacturing and assembly
- Virtual manufacturing process models
- Real time simulation using virtual reality
- Virtual environments for engineering applications
- Virtual simulation of mechanical and mechatronic systems with errors
- Virtual reality and product ergonomics
- Optimization of assembling procedures
- Influence of manufacturing and assembly errors on product performance
- CAD/CAE/CAM, virtual reality and multi-sensorial virtual prototyping
- Virtual reality in education
- Virtual reality for training in industry
Submission of papers: 14 July 2008
First decision notification: 15 September 2008
Submission of revised papers: 15 January 2009
Final decision notification: 15 March 2009