Today, data is everywhere. For example, in sensor networks; social networks; internet documents; internet search indexing; call detail records; astronomy; genomics; biogeochemical, biological and other complex and often interdisciplinary scientific research; military surveillance; medical records; photography archives; video archives; and large-scale e-commerce.
Big data has attracted increasing attention in the academic and industry communities. Big data analysis refers to technologies, tools and methodologies that aim to transform massive quantities of raw data into “data about data” for analytical purposes. Big data analysis aims to extract, process and analyse knowledge from large amounts of various data. It can be seen as the mining or processing of massive data, so that “useful” information can be retrieved from various large dataset.
However, it becomes difficult to process data using on-hand database management tools or traditional data processing and analysis applications. Approaches and techniques are therefore required to solve various large-scale, dynamic big data analysis problems. The challenges in big data analysis include capture, storage, search, sharing, transfer, analysis and visualisation.
For this special issue, we are interested in inviting and gathering recent advanced theories, tools, techniques, frameworks and solutions to challenging problems in big data analysis. The topics suggested below can be discussed in terms of concepts, states of the art, standards, designs, implementations, and running experiments or applications.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Data query protocol in the cloud and mobile environment
- Data gathering and preprocessing in the cloud and mobile environment
- Data heterogeneity in mobile environments
- Data representation techniques
- Searching, mining and discovering data in real-application environments
- Security with data analysis
- Computational intelligence applied to data analysis
- Data processing and management in real-application environments
- Performance improvement in data analysis
- Applications of big data analysis
Manuscript due: 30 October, 2013
Acceptance/rejection notification: 10 January, 2014
Final manuscript due: 10 February, 2014