It is predicted that 50 to 100 billion things will be connected by 2020, and we are therefore now at the heart of a paradigm shift and witnessing the metamorphosis that everyday things are going through, from things that learned-to-do to things that are learning-to-think to things that will learn-to-perceive. Internet of Things (IoT) technology is at the heart of this metamorphosis, and is rapidly gaining significant attention from academia, industries and governments.
Thanks to rapid advances in communications, networks and multimedia technologies, IoT is creating tremendous opportunities for a large number of novel applications that promise to improve the quality of our lives. Standardised infrastructures capable of managing, sharing and processing different multimedia data will be necessary in order to bring the IoT into commercial use. As a new emerging network, there are many issues need to be addressed, such as network protocol, signal processing, communication fashion, power management, multimedia services, dynamic accessing, etc.
This special issue aims at presenting a high-quality, high-impact, original research on the standards, technology and applications of IoT.
Suitable topics include but are not limited to:
- Reference and concrete architectures for IoT (e.g. communications, security, service, test, etc.)
- IoT standardisation activities
- IoT systems and functional architecture
- Protocol design for IoT (e.g. MAC, routing, TCP, scheduling, etc.)
- Security and privacy issues for IoT
- IoT network operations, management and optimisations
- Real-time multimedia communications over IoT
- Green IoT
- RFID, sensors and actuator technologies for IoT
- Web technologies and cloud computing for IoT
- Interface and interaction techniques for IoT
- Performance evaluation for IoT (e.g. QoS, QoE, scalability, etc.)
- IoT applications (e.g. smart transportation, healthcare, environment protection, etc.)
Deadline for submission: 1 May, 2012 (revised date)
1st round notification: 15 August, 2012
Revised article submission: 15 September, 2012
Final notification of acceptance: 1 October, 2012