A special issue of International Journal of Electronic Business
This special issue seeks submissions that examine the current use and future market potential for mobile data services. Since 2002, when the "Mobile Internet" became widely accessible in Korea, Japan and Hong Kong, predictions of rapid adoption have been made for other key markets as well. Services, content and supporting business models have developed along with advanced networks and devices that can improve the user experience.
However, five years later, the rates and expectations for adoption of mobile data services by consumers remains a question, with some seeing signs of rapid growth, others maintaining expectations for specialised markets, and others remaining sceptical about the overall mass market potential for these services. In this issue, we seek submissions that describe general use patterns and the overall market for mobile data services in key markets with a view to describing the current situation as well as factors that may influence further development of mobile data service markets.
We seek timely submissions that examine key national markets in depth, as well as cross cultural comparisons of use patterns, demographic breakdowns, trends and forecasts based on data.
Suitable topics include but are not limited to:
- Measurement and analysis of cross-cultural differences in mobile service usage
* Are there truly significant differences in user behavior and preferences across different markets?
* Does the value proposition in emerging economies differ from that in the industrialized markets?
- Demonstration of business implications for new services development
* Are there transferable lessons, general diffusion dynamics that can be applied to markets for mobile data services and applications?
- Examination of factors supporting adoption: social, cultural, technological, economic - Are existing models and frameworks for technology diffusion useful/relevant?
- In depth country studies, comparative studies of mobile data service use in 2 or more markets.
Deadline for Submission: December 1, 2008
Notification of acceptance: April 1, 2009
Publication Schedule: September 2009