A special issue of International Journal of Human Factors Modelling and Simulation
The movement towards virtual product and production development processes leads to a situation where it is both possible and important to represent future product and workplace users as digital human models. These digital human models are at the disposal of design engineers, as one of many design tools that can be employed, and hence the functionality and method of application of the tools influence the quality of the design work.
This special issue will focus on the application, functionality and usability of digital human modelling (DHM) and other human visualisation and simulation techniques in industrial and other professional development processes. The aim of the special issue is to present the current state of the field in terms of application examples and research and to inspire discussion on the future direction of DHM. This in turn should identify the research needed in order to meet the objectives for DHM tools to successfully contribute to user centred design processes and fit within the overall goal of enhanced quality of life and a sustainable development.
- Application of digital human modelling (DHM) and other visualisation and simulation techniques in product design, such as in vehicle, clothing, healthcare and sports equipment design
- Application of DHM in workspace design, such as in manufacturing, manual assembly, building design and office workplace design
- Application of DHM for inclusive design (universal design/"design for all"), such as in consumer products, hand tools, transport, interior and urban environments design
- User representation techniques in DHM, such as for signifying anthropometric, mobility, personality, or other, diversity
- Integration of physical and cognitive, and other human representation models, for augmented digital human model functionality
- Application and evaluation methods development for the implementation of DHM in industrial development and quality assurance processes
- Strategies for the implementation of DHM in CAD, CAE, knowledge-based engineering and expert systems
The deadline for submissions is : 1st January 2009