Over the recent years, product-service systems (PSSs) and smart products are becoming more and more relevant in the economic world. Indeed, they are able to impact on the society, improving the possibility of the companies to make a profit, besides the impact on the environment, reducing the impact products have on the environment (e.g. car sharing increases the utilisation rate of a car). Furthermore, the evolution of sensors, connectivity, and computational devices has allowed the “boom” of the so-called smart products, enabling them to provide tonnes of data and information usable for different purposes.
The aim of this special issue is to collect research and to work in the field of the lifecycle management of PSSs and smart products, focusing at first on methods and methodologies able to support the different lifecycle phases. Furthermore, we aim to focus on the IT tools that are able to store and create valuable data and information for supporting PSSs and smart product design and management. Finally, a focus on how PSSs and smart products can affect sustainability will be appreciated.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Research on methods and methodologies for representing and supporting PSSs and smart products design and/or lifecycle
- Use cases based on industrial and commercial application of PSSs and smart products
- IT tools for supporting and/or managing PSSs and smart products lifecycle
- Research on sensors, connectivity and software for collecting and managing data from smart products lifecycle
- Smart products' impact on sustainability
Submission of abstracts (by email to the Guest Editor Dr. Daniele Cerri at email@example.com): 28 February, 2017
Initial review: 15 March, 2017
Submission of manuscripts online: 31 May, 2017
Notification to authors: 15 July, 2017
Final versions due: 30 September, 2017