A special issue of International Journal of Management and Decision Making
The aim of this special issue is to look into how the growth in the use of decision making models and computer-based decision aids such as decision support systems and intelligent-based systems, comprising expert systems and neural networks, impacts on various aspects of the strategic decision making. Such strategic decisions are capable of shaping the future direction, position and earnings of business organisations.
The developments in decision making models decision aids technology is taking place simultaneously with increase pressure on corporate entities particularly the multinationals operating in a globalised world of business. It would be interesting therefore to assess the level of use and the impact of these tools on the complex decision making process associated with managerial strategies. These strategies might be at corporate, SBU or functional level.
This special issue should be able to shed light on the motivation for the use of decision models and decision aids in strategic management, the impact of such tools on the quality of strategic decisions and the overall performance of entities in question, the current challenges posed by the use of these decision making tools and techniques and their future implications.
Manuscripts for the special issue are invited dealing with theoretical development, empirical research and/or case studies. Both academics’ and practitioners’ contributions are welcome.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Conceptual development of the relationship between decision making models and corporate strategies
- Conceptual development of the relationship between computer-based decision aids and corporate strategies
- The impact of decision making models and decision aids on strategic decisions relating to:
- Investment and finance
- Business integration
- Recruitment, promotion and HR policy issues
- Audit and control
- Arguments for or against the use of decision making models and computer-based decision aids in formulating corporate strategies
- Current issues in decision models, decision aid and strategic decision making
- Methodological issues in decision models, decision aids and strategic decision making
- Case studies on effective decision making models
Submission deadline: 31 July, 2008
Notification of Acceptance: 30 September, 2008