Outsourcing and vertical integration of logistics functions are examples of recent developments that have altered the transportation logistics environment. Due to outsourcing, in the present day building, maintaining and protecting brands is no longer the duty of any individual organisation, logistics service provider or transportation company only; for instance, co-branding along with alliance branding and brand co-creation have become widely known forms of branding in transportation logistics networks.
In vertical integration, on its part, organisations have adapted new logistics functions, and this may have required different types of rebranding efforts. Still, we assume that dynamic systems such as transportation logistics networks may yet contain unidentified forms of branding.
This special issue is devoted to examining branding in transportation logistics networks, especially within various types of intermodal transportation contexts. We are interested in studies covering different areas of branding, including: rebranding, co-branding, brand co-creation, brand architecture, brand communication and brand equity, to name just a few.
We aim to especially emphasise the viewpoints of service, corporate/company and network branding. Both quantitative and qualitative studies from various perspectives (e.g. logistics outsourcing organisations (including, for example, business, non-profit and government), logistics service providers (LSPs), transportation providers, end customers, supply chains, the entire transportation networks) are welcome.
Suitable topics include but are not limited to:
- Impact of transportation logistics outsourcing on branding
- Brand architecture in transportation logistics networks
- Network branding in transportation logistics
- New forms of co-branding/re-branding in transportation logistics networks and/or their impact on organisations (e.g. growth, profitability, incomes, transaction costs, external economies)
- Brand co-creation in transportation logistics networks
- New models of brand communications in transportation logistics networks
- Brand equity in transportation logistics networks
- Global/local challenges of branding in transportation logistics networks
Full papers due: 1 July, 2013
Notification of acceptance: 15 September, 2013
Final versions of the papers due: 15 November, 2013