Mass customisation as a business strategy has since its introduction two decades ago called for platform design and modularity in product development. Solution space development as one of the three fundamental capabilities in mass customisation necessitates modularity in product development in order to control the vast amount of growth of required variants to fulfil unique customer needs.
Although modularisation has been applied for decades, many companies are still facing major challenges in applying the principles of modularity, and thus research within this area continues to be relevant.
The objective of this special issue is to present a compilation of the current significant research within the area of modularity in product development. Its aim is to contribute in the areas of modular product development, development processes, analysis and case studies with original high quality publications presenting case studies, analyses, concept or methods.
This issue calls for original manuscripts from both academia and industry.
Suitable topics include but are not limited to:
- Product architecture and platforms
- Modularity in product development practices, methods and tools
- Transformation to modularity: observations and experiences
- Product development process analysis and assessment
- Formalisation of modularity in design and engineering
- Platform and modularity engineering methodologies
- Information management for modularity and platform engineering activities
- Modularity and platform management in the enterprise
- Modularity and sustainability in product design and development
- Analysis of product portfolios with respect to modularity
- Metrics for product architecture and modularity
Submission of manuscripts: 1 May, 2013
Notification to authors: 15 September, 2013
Final versions due: 15 December, 2013