The emergence of interconnected data and communication networks has provided unprecedented opportunities for development and innovation within the realm of scalable, multimedia and interactive health information resources. Within this environment, adoption of opportunities for expanded or extensible electronic health records is being actively promoted through a variety of regional, national and international initiatives.
Many are frustrated, however, by the limitations of commercial medical record systems in use today, many of which are still challenged by high resolution images, distributed data networks, mobile data communications standards, and emerging media platforms with significant data storage requirements.
In this special issue we invite research, review and conceptual papers which inform the evaluation and promotion of applied research related to extensible electronic health records, networks and data, as well as discussion of management challenges for organisations in adopting supporting practices and technologies. This call extends to identification of related training resources for emerging information technologies in healthcare.
Original contributions, including conceptual, empirical and case studies, as well as technical reports, management reports, benchmarks and reviews addressing and/or relating to any of the subject coverage areas, are welcome from authors.
Suggested topics include but are not limited to:
- Healthcare data fusion
- System interoperability
- Distributed health systems
- Development of the medical home
- Disease-specific discussion groups
- Peer-to-peer health networking
- Prescription drug procurement and use
- Health information-sharing in online networks
- Genetics and personal health networks
- Web search strategies
- Emerging technologies
- Evaluating online health and medical information
- Domains of medical uncertainty
- Web communities and health policy
- Patient empowerment through web technologies
- Healthcare consumerism on the web
- Global healthcare as a commodity
- Self-disclosure and personal health narrative
- The role of agents and mediators
- Communities of practice
- Special needs and medical disabilities
- The future of healthcare on the web
Manuscript submission: 1 October, 2011
Notification of acceptance: 1 February, 2012
Final submission: 1 May, 2012