A special issue of International Journal of Ultra Wideband Communications and Systems
Ultra wideband (UWB) techniques have attracted much research interest in a variety of medical applications. UWB microwave hyperthermia can be utilised to heat tissues using electromagnetic fields as part of cancer treatment. Many emerging imaging techniques have also relied on UWB radar concepts to improve the sensitivity and specificity of cancer detection. Tissue-implanted UWB devices communicate biomedical signals from the interior to the exterior of the human body and vice versa. UWB systems may also be deployed for non-contact, non-invasive vital-sign monitoring.
Developing and optimising these technologies involve a crystal understanding of the interactions between UWB electromagnetic fields and tissue. Moreover, UWB technology can be applied in body-centric wireless communications, which refer to human-self and human-to-human networking with the use of wearable and implantable wireless sensors. It encompasses wireless body area networks, wireless sensor networks, and wireless personal area networks. Body-centric wireless communications find rich applications in personal health monitoring to achieve distributed diagnosis and home healthcare.
The objective of this special issue is to highlight current and emerging research in applications of UWB systems in biomedicine, which will bring together the latest work in this growing interdisciplinary field.
The topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- UWB microwave imaging for disease assessment, e.g., breast cancer, strokes, cardiovascular diseases
- UWB microwave hyperthermia for cancer treatment
- Tissue-implanted UWB medical devices
- UWB radars for remote vital-sign monitoring
- UWB-based body-centric wireless communications for tele-healthcare
- Effects of human exposure to electromagnetic fields transmitted by UWB biomedical devices
- Security and privacy issues of UWB-based body-centric networking for personal healthcare services
- Coexistence of UWB biomedical devices with other wireless communication systems
Submission deadline: 1 August 2009
Author Notification: 1 December 2009
Final Manuscript: 1 February 2010