One of principal tasks of data mining is to discover sequential patterns which have diverse applications. Using data mining techniques in the discovery of biological data and biomarkers is one of the crucial issues attracting researchers' concerns. Applying pattern mining algorithms in bioinformatics and medicine applications such as biomarker discovery, gene expression, motif discovery (e.g. transcription factor mining, transcription factor binding sites mining, promoter mining, DNA binding sites discovery, etc.) has been addressed by researchers recently.
Today, with the increasing development of new diseases, it is crucial to develop new methods to diagnose these diseases and new medicines to cure them. Biological data and biomarker discovery contributes to a better understanding of proteins and molecule structures and behaviours, and helps to diagnose and cure diseases to a large degree.
The primary goal of this special issue is to exchange the latest fundamental advances in biomarker discovery and the practice of pattern-mining algorithms and related areas. We are interested not only in papers with strong algorithmic and modelling innovations, but also in works that have biological models, application-oriented experimental implementations and evaluations.
The research presented in this special issue will be applicable for medical institutions, corporations developing medicines and any other parties involved in curing diseases.
Suitable topics include but are not limited to:
- Fundamentals of biomarker discovery
- Computational biomarker discovery in proteomics
- Clinical bioinformatics and translational medicine
- Applying pattern-mining algorithms to biological problems
- Synthetic biology
- Cancer prediction
- Biomarkers in clinical drug development
- Safety biomarkers
- Methodologies for genome-wide association studies
- Computational techniques for patient cohort stratification and segmentation
- Deep sequencing
- High-throughput technologies
- Supercomputing to identify biomarkers
- Mathematical methods for diagnostic classifiers
- Biological network analysis
- Network-based and pathway-aware biomarker strategies
Submission deadline: 5 May, 2013
Notification: 5 June, 2013
Final manuscript due: 5 August, 2013