The aim of this issue is to present a platform for dissemination of findings relating to the state-of-the-art in integrated numerical and experimental programs in fundamental or applied aerodynamics, particularly when a novel advance in techniques or approaches to correlation are discussed. Increasingly, the synergistic benefits of integrated programs are being realised where previously-separate programs would once have existed; improvements to accuracy, understanding of complex flow phenomena, and lead times for physical testing or certification are all being enhanced by thoughtful programs making the most efficient use of computational and experimental resources.
Examples of successful case studies in closely integrated CFD and experimental programs are welcomed from all fields of aerodynamics, including aircraft, conventional and competition automobiles or other terrestrial vehicles, civil engineering applications from buildings to wind turbines, and other challenging areas of aerodynamic research and development. Manuscripts describing case studies which were only partly-successful or featured unexpected difficulties are also invited as an opportunity for the community to learn such that future improvements can be realised.
We anticipate this special issue to be of value to those working in a variety of fields in which validation, accuracy, and efficiency in design and testing are paramount, regardless of the flow regimes or niche applications involved.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Case studies of successful synergistic CFD/EFD basic or applied programs
- Innovative statistical/algorithmic approaches to correlation
- Cohesive CFD and EFD in undergraduate education
- Holistic approaches to economical design/development/optimization cycles (i.e. multidisciplinary/multiphysics programs such as aero-thermal-structural-dynamic ground and/or flight testing and simulation)
- Efficiency in handling multi-variable, multi-resolution aerodynamic datasets
- Progress in achieving near-real-time correlation/validation
- Recent experimental techniques that specifically enhance CFD validation
- Recent CFD developments that specifically enhance experimental value
Submission of manuscripts: 31 January, 2016