Sustainable development has evolved into one of the most important strategic issues facing organisations worldwide. Incorporating principles of sustainable development within organisational policies and processes is a critical issue in addressing global environmental problems.
Over the period 2009 to 2014, the compound annual growth rate in business spending on sustainability projects will be approximately 19% across all OECD countries. The ongoing industrialisation and urbanisation of both the developed and developing world, and the environmental, social and economic impacts that ensue, have led to a greater awareness of the need to re-engineer organisational policies, processes and systems in order to facilitate sustainable development.
The central focus of this special issue is on the role of environmental management in industrial ecology, with particular interest also in business strategy. Within its scope, papers including industry case studies and applications are encouraged.
Suitable topics include but are not limited to:
- Organisational, corporate governance, policy, legislation and leadership issues arising from ecological sustainable development and environmental management
- Business strategy related to sustainable ecological development in industry
- Sustainable development and environmental management in information, technology innovation and adoption
- Sustainable development and environmental management in the value chain (procurement), stakeholders, social networks and information systems
- Risk and quality control through sustainability mechanisms
- Use of sustainable development concepts in project management, organisational restructuring and corporate social responsibility
- Measurement, performance and reporting of environmental management
- Sustainable management solutions for ecosystem services; agriculture and the environment; soil and water management; and climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Sustainable development in education and training
Paper submission: 30 June, 2012
First round review completion and notification: 15 September, 2012
Second round submission: 15 November, 2012
Final submission: 15 January, 2013