International Journal of Manufacturing Research 1(4) 2006 is a special issue: Automation objects - enabling embedded intelligence in real-time mechatronic systems.
* Rapid engineering and re-configuration of automation objects aided by formal modelling and verification
* Functional structure-based modelling of automation systems
* Behavioural inheritance in object-oriented models for mechatronic systems
* Control functions design and implementation of distributed automation systems for manufacturing applications
* Agent-based control of manufacturing processes
* Using semantic web technologies to describe automation objects
* A new measurement technique for communications in IEC 61499 systems