With the rapid development of massive online open courses (MOOCs), web 2.0 online communities, social media and mobile technologies in the big data era, there is a fast proliferation of learning resources such as online learning communities, open course videos and learning materials and multimedia textbooks (e.g. webpages, animations and documents).
When faced with such a large volume of data, it is essential to have effective and efficient ways to organise information. To achieve this goal, we need not only versatile user models but also powerful learning analytic approaches. Such user models and learning analytic approaches can be exploited and applied in various web-based learning applications such as personalised learning path discovery, learning resource recommendations, course opinions and sentiment analysis.
This special issue aims to present the latest research and developments in user modelling and learning analytics. The issue will carry revised and substantially extended versions of selected papers presented at the 1st International Workshop on User Modeling for Web-based Learning , the 14th International Conference on Web-based Learning and the 1st International Technology Enhanced Language Learning Workshop, but we also strongly encourage researchers unable to participate in the conference to submit articles for this call.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Learner and learning resource modelling
- Learning style and preference identification
- Learner profiling and personalisation
- User log mining and analytics for e-learning
- Learning context modelling for users
- Cognitive-based learner modelling
- Learning assessment modelling
- Knowledge management and learning strategies
- Knowledge construction in e-learning
- Web-based learning and knowledge communities
- Learning and knowledge portals
- Making sense of learning analytics
- Learning analytic systems
- Case studies of learning analytic implementations
- Evaluation and assessment
- MOOCs and learning analytics
Submission of manuscripts: 12 August, 2016