A special issue of International Journal of Productivity and Quality Management
In a fiercely competitive market situation in a globalised economy, organisations, irrespective of their types and product profiles, should stay competitive and improve their market positions continuously. Efforts to improve quality are crucial in attaining these goals. Through improved process control and efficient resource utilisation, an organisation may be able to minimise its cost of production and services significantly. As quality improves, the competitive position of an organisation improves with better customer satisfaction, increased profitability, and all aspects of organisational performance, such as innovation, productivity, effectiveness and quality of work life.
Over the years, a number of tools, techniques, approaches, and methodologies have been proposed and applied by researchers and practitioners in all types of organisations in order to address the quality and productivity issues. With organisations becoming complex, applications of all these tools and approaches may require a constant effort to upgrade them, in content and structure, to address the current industrial problems related to quality and productivity with primary objective of enhanced organisational performance.
In this special issue, research papers will be included in the areas of design and development of appropriate approaches for organisational performance measurement and improvement, as well as specific cases highlighting their application at different levels of organisation and industry sector.
The topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Design and implementation of cellular manufacturing
- Lean and JIT applications in production and service
- Quality engineering/Taguchi methods in productivity improvement
- Reliability estimation and prediction
- Advances in process control and optimisation
- Performance improvement through flexible manufacturing systems
- TQM issues and applications
- Quality control and improvement in the service industry
- Human productivity improvement
- Risk assessment and safety issues in organisations
- Industry-wide survey/cases
Manuscript submission: 29 February, 2008
Notification of editorial decision: 31 May, 2008
Submission of final manuscript: 15 August, 2008