With the arrival of the knowledge-based economy, people today live in a flood of knowledge. New knowledge and technologies now determine product innovation and even the structure and quality of cities. Therefore, the open and creative connection between knowledge or technologies and the markets – that is, open innovation – has become a very important political, economic and social issue for building creative knowledge cities and the creative economy.
A lot of today’s scholars from various disciplines suggest implementing open innovation strategies as a key to confronting the serious current crisis of capitalism derived from persistent unemployment, immense inequality and globalisation.
This special issue will focus on open innovation for building knowledge cities and the creative economy, will address burgeoning issues regarding today's knowledge cities, and will present ideas for the creative economy based on such open innovation subjects.
The issue will carry revised and substantially extended versions of selected papers presented at the Society of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity (SOItmC) & Knowledge Cities World Summit (KCWS) 2015, but we also strongly encourage researchers unable to participate in the conference to submit articles for this call.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- City of the future, future of the city: open innovation and the ubiquitous city
- Complexity, open innovation and knowledge cities
- Start-ups, open innovation and knowledge cities
- The creative economy and creative cities
- Open innovation: technology, society and dynamics
- Technology policy for open innovation and knowledge cities
- Open innovation for smart mobility and complexity
- Smart technology for good governance
- Open innovation in energy
- The importance of valuation and big data as a source of technology commercialisation in the open innovation era
Submission of full paper: 15 September, 2015
Notification of review results: 15 December, 2015
Final paper submission: 31 January, 2016